top of page
Book Pages
  • How much does your program cost?
    It costs nothing to be part of a program at The Literacy Center. We charge no fee at all for any of our services – it’s as simple as that.
  • What levels of reading do you teach?
    We strive for our students to achieve functional literacy based on their needs. Some students want to be able to read before studying for their High School Equivalency exam/TASC (previously known as the GED) while others may want to be able to pass a driver’s license exam or be able to read a bedtime story to their children. It doesn’t matter if a student has some reading ability or none at all; all that matters is their dedication and willingness to learn. The National Adult Literacy Survey of 1993 defined literacy as “Using printed and written information to function in society, to achieve one’s goals, and to develop one’s knowledge and potential.” This definition does not tie literacy to one standard ability or grade level, but recognizes that literacy is related to the needs of each individual. For this reason, we offer individualized help. In general, we help adults who are reading below an eighth grade level, and most of our students come to us reading below 5th grade level.
  • Where can I take the high school equivalency exam (HSE)/TASC (previously know as the GED)?
    Adults interested in taking the High School Equivalency exam/TASC (previously know as the GED) must start with calling either the Adult Education Office at 812-428-4408 or by calling The Literacy Center. You will first take a short TABE assessment to determine if you are ready to take the High School Equivalency exam. Think of this as a readiness test: the results that you receive from this TABE assessment will determine if you are ready for the actual HSE exam, or if classes that are offered around the county and at The Literacy Center are the best place for you to start. You will always be given honest, helpful advice.
  • If I have special needs or disabilities can I qualify for accommodations when I take the HSE?
    Visit this website for information about accommodations.
  • Where can I learn more about the HSE/TASC exam?
    You can find more information here.
  • If I have taken the high school equivalency exam/TASC or the GED (previous exam) where can I get a copy of the diploma?
    DiplomaSender is your source for High School Equivalency documentation. If you took the HiSET, TASC, or GED test in one of the select states (see the states in blue on, you may obtain your official high school equivalency records.
  • Do you help students learning English as a second language (ESL/ELL)?
    Not currently but you can call (812) 568-7874 to reach Evansville Adult ESL Classes. A person learning English can still join our BAL and HSE programs.
  • How do your students find you?
    Most of our students are referred to us by someone to whom they have confided. This includes a counselor at social service agency, church member, friend, or relative. Most of our students have wanted help for a while, but didn’t know where to turn.
  • Why are there so many adults who cannot read?
    Everyone faces different challenges in life. Whilst some adults may not have learned to read due to an additional need such as a learning disability, many others simply managed to get by without learning how to read. It is important to remember that just because someone struggles with reading, it doesn’t mean they have a disability, or are unintelligent. Most estimates show that about 20% of the population have a learning disability. Adults that come to us often show concern about having something called Dyslexia. This is a condition where a person struggles with words and letters, and can be mild or severe depending on the person. You can talk to us if you are concerned about having a learning disability, but only a medical professional can diagnose you.
  • Do I need teaching experience to be a reading tutor?
    No. Tutors need not have previous tutoring or teaching experience. The Literacy Center provides training, and our office staff and volunteers are available to answer questions and address concerns.
  • How much time will be required to be a tutor?
    Our tutors are required to make a one year commitment-that is the amount of time our students must commit to, and we want them to work with the same tutor for the entire year. As a tutor, you will meet with a student twice week for approximately 1-1.5 hours each session. You will plan and guide the lessons. With preparation time and travel time included, you can expect to be giving 4-5 hours a week of your time.
  • I’m not sure I can commit to being a tutor-but I want to help. What can I do?
    The Literacy Center always needs volunteers in other areas besides tutoring. Visit our volunteer page to see the other areas you can help. You can also help by making a financial contribution or in-kind gift. We depend on financial contributions to maintain a viable program, and there are many items that can be donated to help us save on expenses.
bottom of page